Thursday 10 March 2011

DWZI / this week i saw...

In this country, interviewing potential students is part of the selection process. Today, I was meant to interview 3 spotty youths. Normally, the process involves you getting handed a form for each candidate with the predicted exam results, a letter from their head master detailing how wonderful they are, you interview them, they're really sweet & nervous, you think, 'gosh they're cute' and an hour later you get on with your day job.

Not today. One of my pieces of paper had a yellow sticky note on it: 'read'. So, good girl that I am, I did. Basically the candidate had already graduated, his marks were so low he did not come close to qualifying for our university, last year he had not shown up on the interview date, he had messed up in about 1000 other ways, in short, I honestly thought 'why am I interviewing this loser?'. I reprimanded myself that a loooooooooooooong time ago I had been young, too, and give the guy a break. Clearly someone in the pre-selection process thought he was worthy of an interview.

Then our admissions tutor marched into my office. 'I've come to take away one of your forms - you're not interviewing this guy'. So, conveniently & immediately forgetting my stern chat to myself, I said 'great, thanks, here you go' and handed him the loser guy form. At this, eyebrows were raised. No, not that one. The one with the three criminal convictions, including that knife stabbing incident for which he was convicted for assault resulting in gross bodily harm.

oh dear.

here you go.

our admissions tutor interviewed him. he's big, i'm not so big. still. i think he survived...

3 comments:

  1. wow, dat zijn de interviews ...
    adem in, adem uit
    lekker weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure?
    Wow, heftig zeg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wauw.
    En je pep-talk vind ik bewonderingswaardig. Over kinderen kansen geven gesproken!

    ReplyDelete