Friday 13 January 2012

ignorance is bliss

to me, lobster is just the most delicious lovely treat ever. yum. I had ordered some for Christmas but the fishmonger hadn’t received my email so I had to go without. I’m making up for this tomorrow, when I have a bunch of friends over for a lobster-indulgence. hurrah! even more of a treat when there is no excuse such as Christmas or anything J

browsing through recipes I discover that

- apparently some of these creatures are incredibly old and it is impossible to tell exactly how old they are because they continuously renew their DNA thanks to an enzyme called telomerase. the lobster we eat tomorrow might be 300 years old! on the one hand, I think that’s cool – I presume it has had a nice life, etc. so I tell myself I don’t need to feel guilty and am allowed to enjoy every bite. on the other hand, gosh, it’s antique, may have been in existence since before Avicenna – and here I am just greedily gobbling it up?!

- I also discover they die painlessly if you stick them in the freezer for 2 hours before cooking them. how on earth did they measure that? but ok, let’s give that a go

- cooking live lobsters is illegal in Italy (according to Wikipedia you could be fined up to €495)

I decide I have read enough & go for simple & delicious. steamed lobster served without guilt but with clarified butter, baby new potatoes, samphire and salad. antipasti for starters and lemon meringue pie for pudding. as long as I have to make do without telomerase I’d better enjoy life while it lasts J

3 comments:

  1. Hi lovely to see your blogs again, to hear how you are all going. Hope you are all well and had a lovely Christmas, happy 2012, lots of love to you all Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoyed your lobster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ik zag laatst op een ander blog een afbeelding van een kreeft die van wortels was gemaakt, net echt en misschien wel lekkerder???

    ReplyDelete