Monday 17 October 2011

birthday girl

a few days ago by now. i always try to take the day off & spoil myself - it's usually gorgeous weather on 4 october. this year, the weather was horrid and work was manic. my parents had been for the weekend - all the way from the netherlands, especially! - & returned home, the kids had made me a card, which they handed over in the morning but then they were at school. so basically i decided i'd had a lovely birthday weekend, went to work, brought cakes in, and hid in my office to write grant proposals, publications, and meet with my personal tutees. a pretty ordinary tuesday. but.... i had not reckoned with my mates!

it was their birthday too, only 9&10 days later & they organised supper for all of us here. we started with an amuse of duck rillettes, pork crackling, and marinated cucumber, then i had portland crab salad with horseradish mayonnaise, loin of venison with caramelised chicory, maple syrup pear with milk chocolate mousse, wines, coffee, all organised by & experienced with some of the loveliest people on earth..... who needs a day off when there's mates like mine :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment